Sunday 27 May 2012

Inveraray Castle

It's been a gorgeous few days in Scotland, with sizzling hot weather. The traditional response to such climatic conditions is to dive for cover in the heather and bracken, and hope it goes away until the welcome misery of the rains returns. But being only half Scottish, and ever optimistically half Northern Irish, I decided instead to go on a camping trip to Loch Lomond last night, followed by a trip earlier today to Inveraray.

The last time I visited Inveraray was to take part in a Most Haunted type scenario a couple of years ago, spending a night with my wife and a few others at the town jail in the hope of catching ourselves a wee banshee or two. As my wife put it, she went in a believer and came out a sceptic! (For a full account on the trip you can read my article in Discover my Past Scotland issue 20, June 2010, available at www.discovermypast.co.uk). Today we decided instead to visit Inveraray Castle, home to the Dukes of Argyll, of the Campbell clan. I won't bore you with the history of the place (see www.inveraray-castle.com), suffice to say the clan chief is still chiefing away - instead here's a few snaps!









Incidentally, Most Haunted visited the castle a couple of years ago, and all sorts allegedly happened! Whilst there today of course, we saw nothing. I think Inveraray ghosts suffer from Patonitis! Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment